Skip to Content

Landrieu Fights for Fair Hurricane Recovery Rules / Seeks to Overcome Obstructionist Opposition

Seeks to Overcome Obstructionist Opposition

March 7, 2007

WASHINGTON — U.S. Senator Mary L. Landrieu, D-La., took the Senate floor today and defended an amendment to the 9/11 Commission bill, S. 4, that would right hurricane funding rules unfair to Louisiana but has been met with opposition by some Republican senators who object to having an up-or-down vote on the measure. In response, Sen. Landrieu said that she intends to object to holding votes on other amendments until the objections to this measure are dropped.

 

"Fair treatment for the people working to rebuild hurricane damaged communities in Louisiana should not be held hostage to this kind of obstructionism," Sen. Landrieu said, noting that several Republican senators have co-sponsored her amendment. "This issue is about fundamental fairness. It's about meeting federal responsibilities and ensuring a full recovery."

The Fair Assistance in Recovery Funding Amendment, S. Amdt. 295, would waive for Katrina- and Rita-affected communities provisions of the Robert T. Stafford Act that require localities to match 10 percent of the cost for disaster recovery projects before the remaining 90 percent is filled by the federal government. With local tax bases devastated by the hurricanes, and the provision's excessive paperwork requirements for each of the 23,000 public assistance projects in Louisiana alone, the match has become a significant obstacle to Gulf Coast recovery.

No Democratic senators have objected to the Landrieu FAIR Funding amendment, and the nonpartisan Congressional Budget Office has said that it technically bears no cost to the federal government.

"I ask the leadership to schedule a vote on this because it is something that is clearly justified," Sen. Landrieu said. "It could be done administratively, but it hasn't been. Because the administration has not acted, Congress now has a responsibility to act, to do what's right and to eliminate the bureaucratic red tape that's strangling our recovery. Our communities need this waiver so they can rebuild roads and bridges and houses and schools that need to be rebuilt."

President Bush has the authority to waive the onerous requirement without legislation when per capita rebuilding costs become excessive -- a presidential authority that has been exercised 32 times since 1985. In 1992, President George H. W. Bush waived the requirement when the per capita recovery cost of Hurricane Andrew reached $139. It was also waived for New York City following the attacks of September 11th, where the per capita cost totaled $390. But despite a $6,700 per capita recovery cost following Hurricanes Katrina and Rita, the Administration has thus far refused repeated requests for such a waiver.

Shreveport Office

U.S. Courthouse
300 Fannin St., Room 2240
Shreveport, LA 71101

Phone: 318-676-3085

Fax: 318-676-3100

Lake Charles Office

Capital One Tower
One Lake Shore Dr., Suite 1260
Lake Charles, LA 70629

Phone: 337-436-6650

Fax: 337-439-3762

Baton Rouge Office

Federal Building
707 Florida St., Room 326
Baton Rouge, LA 70801

Phone: 225-389-0395

Fax: 225-389-0660

New Orleans Office

Hale Boggs Federal Building
500 Poydras St., Room 1005
New Orleans, LA 70130

Phone: 504-589-2427

Fax: 504-589-4023

Northeast Office

U.S. Courthouse
300 Fannin St., Room 2240
Shreveport, LA 71101

Phone: 318-676-3085

Fax: 318-676-3100

Central Office

Federal Building
707 Florida St., Room 326
Baton Rouge, LA 70801

Phone: 225-389-0395

Fax: 225-389-0660

Washington, D.C. Office

703 Hart
Senate Office Building
Washington, DC 20510

Phone: 202-224-5824

Fax: 202-224-9735

Move your mouse over the map for other office information.
© 2014 Senator Mary Landrieu   |   Privacy   |   Text Only
About   |   Priorities   |   Services   |   Media Center   |   Contact